Volunteer/Chaperone Clearance Policy and Procedures
Volunteers and Contractors:
Effective July 1, 2015 – if you plan to volunteer in our school district in any capacity and don't have any clearances on file with the administration office, please submit the following ASAP:
Child Abuse Clearance (Act 151 Form)
Criminal History Check (Act 34 Form)
FBI Fingerprint check (Act 114) is only necessary if you have lived in PA for less than 10 years.
Volunteers who already have clearances on file that are older than 1 year (after July 1, 2014) must RESUBMIT new clearances by July 1, 2015, and every 36 months thereafter. Clearances should be sent the WHSD Administrative Office, Attention: Mary Hartnett, 110 Lindberg Ave., Johnstown, PA 15905.
Please keep a copy for your records and update them every 3 years.
Parents will not need clearances as visitors to public events unless they are designated to have responsibility for students.
The Westmont Hilltop School District is grateful for the support of parent volunteers. We encourage all parents to become involved in the educational endeavors of your children. We wish to support your efforts in volunteerism and to encourage a continuing partnership with parents. As always, our first and most pressing concern is the health, safety, and welfare of your children while they are in our care.
The purposes of this page are to specify the processes that we will employ to ensure that all volunteers who are likely to have contact with students have clearances and to make the transition and acquisition process as easy as possible for parents who wish to volunteer in school-related activities. Directions are as follows:
- Read Westmont Hilltop School District Policy 916: School Volunteers.
- Sign the acknowledgment form indicating that you have read WHSD Policy 916. Return the signed form to any building office.
- Complete the PDE-6004 form, which is required to initiate active status as a volunteer or chaperone. Return the signed form to any building office. Upon submission, your name will be added to a database indicating active volunteer status.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check (Act 34)-- From this link, submit a request for a Criminal History Background Check. You must have an e-mail address and pay $10 to complete this form online, but you may also print the form and mail it.
- Complete a Child Abuse Form (Act 151). From this link at left, you can complete the form and pay online.
- If you have moved to the WHSD from outside of Pennsylvania within the past TEN years, the FBI fingerprinting process (Act 114) will also be required. This process requires the applicant to visit a fingerprinting location after registering online. As of the writing of this page, the closest location to the WHSD is the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. The fingerprinting process takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Upon confirmation of active status, individuals may chaperone or volunteer as designees for district events. The district will maintain a confidential database in Central Office for clearances. Organizers who are in charge of events will have access to the database of active volunteers.
- All associated documents may be returned to any building office.
The district office (814-255-6751) will assist any volunteer by providing directions regarding how clearances may be acquired in the most efficient manner. Failure to submit clearances in a timely fashion relative to the time required to obtain them will place an individual on an inactive list pending clearances. Each building administration will provide information for new parents and incoming kindergarten students to expedite the clearance process for them.