Focus: Skills-Based Literacy (K-4)
- University of Oregon Diagnostic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS): https://dibels.uoregon.edu/
- Carolyn Shipley, Appalachia IU8 Trainer, has been a resource for DIBELS implementation since the mid-point of the 2012-2013 school year.
- Proficient reading is necessary for student to mature with a positive self-concept: http://www.childrenofthecode.org/
Focus: Skills-Based Literacy (5-12)
- PA Literacy Network: http://www.gse.upenn.edu/pln/
- PA Institute for Instructional Coaching (PIIC): http://piic.pacoaching.org/
- Some Westmont Hilltop teachers (MS and HS) have taken the PLN1 course over the past few years, taught in the IU8 region by Diana Hubona, a PIIC instructor from Bellwood-Antis School District.
- PLN1: Critical Reading and Writing in Support of Learning (Grades 5-12); Course Description: A focus for secondary school teachers (MS and HS) is increasing students’ active reading and writing about content area texts. PLN 1 Secondary offers practical strategies and applications that help establish a literate classroom environment in support of learning that links subject areas, with a focus on depth of learning. Teachers, specialists, and administrators learn approaches to create learning experiences that are rich in problem-solving, critical thinking, and logical reasoning based on The Five Reading/Writing/Talking Processes and The Four Lenses of Learning.